19 April 2010

green thumb...

i don't really have one, but i like to pretend i do. i love fresh herbs and usually try my hand at growing a few every summer. mississippi growing season, here i come!

david took me to one of the local nurseries here in hattiesburg and the owner, mr. norton, was crazy helpful. by the time i left i had also decided i should try  tomatoes, yellow peppers, hot banana peppers, cucumbers, and squash. mr. norton had this really cute display with the veggies and herbs planted in burlap sacks and placed in a rusty, old wheelbarrow. i really wanted that wheelbarrow.  it looked fun and the mac with the actual green thumb promises it's easy. that being said, he loaded up my car and david laughed while warning poor mr. norton that we live really close and i could become a regular visitor.

so i brought my lovely new plants home and promptly got them in the soil and hunted in the garage for something as cute as that wheelbarrow -- below is what i came up with. (and a pic of david helping me)  i really am excited though -- and i've already used basil, oregano, mint and lemon basil. i've been reading up on using stevia that's not yet dried. so if someone is reading this that has pointers for me --- i'm ALL EARS!!

happy growing!

3 comments:

Simoney said...

Your mini-gardens look really cute! I am soooo not a green thumb. I killed my herb garden. Killed it dead. In only 2 months. Good luck with yours!

heather said...

i've been wanting to get something little like that to use, since we're in a small space! i'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Simoney said...

Hey Hope, thanks for your comment; I was so touched what you said. And oh your herb planters.. they are so CREATIVE! xx